Starts Saturday, June 30, 2018
(6-week course on Saturday mornings)
9:00 am to 10:30 am
Classes will be held at Times Supermarket @ Kamehameha Shopping Center
The Hawaii Employers Council is excited to announce its partnership with leading Diabetes experts in Hawaii including Novo Nordisk, American Diabetes Association, and Times Supermarkets. Through this partnership, HEC is offering its members the opportunity to participate in Diabetes Care for Life, a free diabetes self-management program. Now in its fourth year, the Diabetes Care for Life program has seen amazing success in helping participants improve both their knowledge about diabetes and overall biometric measurements including A1C!
Through a combination of education, interactive activities, goal-setting, and support, participants will receive comprehensive training that will enable them to engage in behaviors to better control and manage diabetes. See the program flyer for additional information.
Comments from past program participants:
- “What really helped me was learning about food control. I lost 16 pounds from January to April.”
- "Through the program I learned that counting carbs and exercise are both important to helping control my diabetes."
- "The Diabetes Care for Life program helped me properly monitor my blood sugar. As a result, I now monitor my blood sugar level regularly which give me a better idea as to how well I am controlling my diabetes."
Course curriculum includes:
- Pre and post program biometric screening
- Diabetes overview
- Importance of nutrition including right-sizing your plate, slow carbs vs fast carbs, and the role of fruits and vegetables
- Recognizing and treating hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia
- Physical activity and its role in helping to control blood sugar
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Long-term complications of diabetes
- Preventing eye and kidney problems
- Foot care
- 18 years or older
- Has been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes
- A1C of 8 or greater
- Has had a physician visit with the last 6 months
- Able to attend a 6-week course on Saturday mornings from 9:00 am to 10:30 am beginning June 30, 2018. Classes will be held at Times Supermarket, 2nd floor Conference Room at Kamehameha Shopping Center in Kalihi.
- Please call American Diabetes Association at 947-5979, ext. 0 to enroll
- Program is limited to the first 25 participants
1620 N. School Street, 2nd Floor Conference Room
Kamehameha Shopping Center
Honolulu, Hi 96817