Employers facing the difficult decision of downsizing staff on a short-term or permanent basis must ensure their plans do not run afoul of the law. This seminar will help guide employers through a checklist of considerations and address commonly asked questions such as:
- How do employers lawfully implement RIFs, layoffs, furloughs or reduced hours?
- What notices must employers provide under the Workers Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) or Hawaii’s Dislocated Workers Act (DWA)?
- How do employers comply with the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act (OWBPA) in releases obtained for separation benefits?
- What information should be included in communications to employees?
- How much unemployment insurance will employees receive?
About Our Speakers:
Barbara Petrus, Partner, Goodsill.
Barbara’s extensive experience in management labor and employment law has been generating results for clients since 1982. She is both an exceptional litigator and dedicated to helping clients navigate complicated employment issues. Barbara’s expertise covers a broad range of labor and employment areas, from employment policies, to compliance with the myriad laws impacting the employment relationship, to collective bargaining, to litigation before courts, agencies and arbitrators including defending discharge and contract interpretation union grievance cases before labor arbitrators.
John Mackey, Partner, Goodsill.
John represents and advises employers in various areas of employment law. He defends employers in court and in agency proceedings and investigations involving allegations of harassment, discrimination, failure to accommodate disabilities, wage and hour violations, unfair labor practices and breach of contract restricting post-employment competition or misappropriation of trade secrets. Employers trust John’s advice on issues relating to terminating employees, providing leaves of absence, properly classifying employees and conducting internal investigations.
Thursday, April 9, 2020
2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Members – FREE
Non-Members: $15.00 (Credit card payments only please. Pay online or call Liane Okimoto at: 808.282.8817)
Register online or by emailing Liane Okimoto at: email@example.com and provide full names & email addresses for each attendee.