COVID-19 has added another layer of complexity to managing employee leaves of absence, especially for large employers who must comply with the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the Hawaii Family Leave Law (HFLL). Join Christopher Yeh, partner at Marr Jones & Wang, as he gives a brief overview of FMLA and HFLL and then dives deeper into trending leave questions such as:
- When an employee tests positive for COVID-19, is the employee entitled to protections under the FMLA, HFLL, and Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL) under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)? Should disability discrimination issues be considered as part of the analysis?
- If an employee tests positive, but has no symptoms, are FMLA and EPSL triggered?
- If an employee is subject to quarantine after traveling, is the employee entitled to FMLA and EPSL?
- If an employee’s family member tests positive for COVID-19, but the employee has not tested positive, which statutory leaves must be offered to the employee?
- If multiple leave laws apply, can the various state and federal leave laws be applied concurrently? If not, what order must it be applied?
- Can an employer’s sick leave or TDI be offered concurrently with FMLA, HFLL, and FFCRA?
- Can an employer require negative COVID-19 tests before returning to work after FMLA leave?
About our speaker:
Christopher Yeh, Esq. is a partner at Marr Jones & Wang. He practices in all aspects of labor and employment law, advises companies on a wide range of employment matters, and has successfully represented employers in proceedings before private arbitrators as well as the state and federal courts in Hawaii, Hawaii Civil Rights Commission, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, National Labor Relations Board, and Hawaii Department of Labor and Industrial Relations.
Mr. Yeh has taught at both Hawaii Pacific University and the University of Hawaii William S. Richardson School of Law. He is a graduate of Harvard University and Harvard Law School. Mr. Yeh has been recognized inThe Best Lawers in America, the Chambers USA directory America's Leading Lawyers for Business, and Super Lawyers.
Thursday, September 24, 2020
10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Approved for HRCI credits.
HEC Members: Free
Register online below or email Liane Okimoto at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide your full name, company name & email address.