Addressing Suicide in the Workplace
In light of the recent suicides of two high profile celebrities (Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain), the topic of suicide and depression has been a hot topic of discussion in media outlets, social media, and the workplace water cooler. From an HR perspective, the issue of suicide in the workplace also requires our attention because companies need to be aware of their rights and responsibilities when it comes to addressing employees who may be suffering from depression and even possibly considering suicide. For the July feature of the month, HEC has prepared an article and compiled several resources that may be of assistance to employers in learning about their role when it comes to suicide in the workplace.
- HEC Guide: Addressing Suicide in the Workplace
- Hawaii Injury Prevention Plan (Hawaii DOH)
- When There’s Talk of Suicide (WorkLife)
- Understanding and Relieving Depression (WorkLife)
- What Employers Can Do to Prevent Suicide (SPRC)
- Answers to Questions about Suicide (NIMH)