News & Announcements
How and Why to Improve Company Culture
A recent study by Speakap discusses the importance company culture has on improving employee loyalty and relationships. Speakap describes workplace culture as “the sum of a company’s values, traditions, beliefs, interactions, behaviors, and attitudes.” According to Speakap, “When a company makes a serious commitment and takes pride in how its values and beliefs are embodied throughout its workforce, it can attract top-notch talent, increase happiness, create a sense of fulfilment, positively impact performance and ultimately, improve employee relationships, loyalty and retention.”
The study, entitled “The Culture Factor: Improving Employee Loyalty & Relationships,” found that 79% of U.S. respondents said that company culture is important to them and more than half said they would rather work 60 hours per week than work at a company that doesn’t value culture.
The survey asked respondents various questions, with the top responses being noted below.
- “Which one of the following is the most important attribute of a strong culture?”
- Respect and fairness (34%)
- Trust and integrity (21%)
- “Which one of the following makes you feel connected to a company’s culture during the first 30 days?”
- Sharing organization’s mission, vision, and values (24%)
- Being invited to participate in multiple onboarding/training sessions (19%)
- Being assigned a buddy/mentor prior to the first day (16%)
- Being invited to communicate with colleagues prior to the first day (15%)
- TIP: Invite new hires to attend onboarding sessions to introduce new hires to the company’s mission and values, organizational structure, payroll/benefits, etc.
- TIP: Assign the new hire a buddy/mentor prior to the first day of work to answer any questions they might have about the company’s culture, protocols, and anything else they want to know.
- “Which one of the following makes you feel connected to a company after the first 30 days?”
- Ongoing job guidance and support (28%)
- Positive recognition and rewards (21%)
- Shift/schedule flexibility (15%)
- TIP: Set up personalized training sessions that are specific to the new hire’s responsibilities.
- TIP: Set up 30, 60, and 90-day check-ins to discuss the new hire’s experience, including challenges and feedback.
- “How much of an impact do each of the following factors have on your job satisfaction?
- Job security (74% responded that it had high impact)
- Appreciation for work (73%)
- Good Work-life balance (71%)
- “What’s your biggest complaint about your relationship with your direct/line manager?”
- Lack of guidance and support (12%)
- Clear instructions not provided for tasks (12%)
- TIP: Communicate clearly, honestly and frequently, and create a safe place for feedback
- “What is the biggest detriment to workplace bonds/ relationships?”
- Poor/lack of internal communications (22%)
- Lack of team unity (21%)
- Toxic company culture (19%)
Let HEC help you work on your company culture, through our training programs, including workshops on productive conflict, collaboration, management, leadership, and teamwork.