News & Announcements
Celebrating the Value of Workers With Disabilities – Events and Resources
October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (“NDEAM”). NDEAM celebrates the contributions of workers with disabilities and educates about the value of a workforce inclusive of their skills and talents. The 2019 theme is "The Right Talent, Right Now."
There are many ways organizations can participate in NDEAM. Below are some ideas and resources to help get you started or build upon your disability inclusion programs.
- Employment First Hawaii and Disability:IN event, “The Right Talent, Right Now,” will include a reverse job fair spotlighting job seekers with disabilities.
- WHEN: October 29, 2019 | 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- View the Schedule of Events.
- HEC will be hosting a seminar on “Disability Inclusion in the Workplace.” Persons with disabilities represent one of the most valuable albeit underutilized groups of applicants and employees today. Richard Pimentel and Milt Wright will conduct three interactive awareness exercises from the highly rated “WINDMILLS: Changing the Perception of Ability” employment training program to help participants learn how they can influence and contribute to their organization’s people management strategy.
- WHEN: November 20, 2019 | 8:45 am - 11:00 am
- Register here.
- HEC will also be hosting “Call to Action: Creating a Diversity and Disability Inclusive Workplace.” This highly engaging 2-part workshop, with Heidi Dirkse-Graw, MS, CRC, LPC and Anita Lee Wright, is designed to take participants into a deeper dive regarding the world of diversity and disability as it relates to the workplace.
- WHEN: November 21, 2019 | 8:45 am - 11:00 am
- Register here.
- 10 Benefits of Hiring People with Disabilities
- EARN (Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion) is a free resource that helps employers tap the benefits of disability diversity by educating organizations on ways to build inclusive workplace cultures.
- View EARN’s primer on disability inclusion.
- Learn more about EARN’s Inclusion@Work: A Framework for Building a Disability-Inclusive Organization, which includes webinars and discussion guides.
- The Job Accommodation Network (“JAN”) provides free, confidential guidance on workplace accommodations and disability employment issues. JAN is funded by a contract from the DOL’s Office of Disability Employment Policy. JAN recently refreshed its Workplace Accommodation Toolkit—a free, comprehensive online resource for employers seeking to move beyond basic compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act in order to create more disability-inclusive workplaces. The Toolkit includes:
- Actionable accommodation policies and processes from leading businesses;
- Forms, training presentations, and role-play videos, including a new role-play video depicting the performance management of an employee with an opioid addiction;
- Best and emerging practices for creating a disability-inclusive workplace across all phases of the employment life cycle;
- Tools for IT Professionals responsible for digital accessibility; and
- The Solution Showcase – short videos of various technology solutions that can be implemented as effective job accommodations.
- Is your website ADA-compliant? If you use your company website for online applications or anything else employment related, be sure it is accessible to people with disabilities, which will help your company get ahead of any potential lawsuits as well as maximize the number of people utilizing your site to increase your customer base and applicant pool. Read more.