News & Announcements
October 13 Resource Roundup Highlights
Posted Tuesday, October 13, 2020 3:05 pm
COVID-19 LOCAL GOVERNMENT NEWS
- Hawaii's COVID-19 Pre-Travel Testing Program Announces Testing and Travel Partners: On October 7, Governor Ige announced more details about Hawaii's COVID-19 pre-travel testing program for Hawaii inbound travelers, which starts on October 15, by providing a list of the program's approved testing and travel partners. Governor Ige is reportedly delegating authority to implement post-arrival supplemental testing to the counties who will be responsible to pay for it.
- Free Hawaiian Culture Training: Native Hawaiian Hospitality Association is offering free visitor industry workforce training. The session will be held via Zoom on Wednesday, October 14 from 1:30 - 3:30 p.m.
- Mayor Caldwell issued a statement on post-arrival COVID-19 testing, supporting the State's pre-travel testing program based on the assurance by Lieutenant Governor Josh Green that he will be implementing an additional post-travel, random, surveillance testing program. Mayor Caldwell plans to request approval of a post-arrival test at the airport for those who have not received a pre-travel test. Read the KITV article here.
- The Culture and Arts Relief and Recovery Fund will reimburse businesses and non-profit organizations in the Culture and Arts industries for costs incurred from the implementation of safety precautions and re-opening costs to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The one-time reimbursement will be up to either $10,000 or $50,000 depending on the business or non-profit organization eligibility and qualifications.
- Hawaii County: Mayor Kim received permission to administer a second COVID-19 test to arriving out-of-state passengers at Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keahole starting on October 15, 2020. The test administered by Hawaii County will be a rapid-response antigen test.
- Maui: Governor Ige has given verbal approval to exempt interisland travelers to Maui from the 14-day quarantine if they provide a negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours prior to arrival. Mayor Victorino submitted a proposal to Governor Ige seeking support from the state to offer a second voluntary test for transpacific travelers after they arrive in Maui County. Mayor Victorino also requested that Maui County residents who travel solely between Maui, Molokai, and Lanai would not be subject to quarantine or the pre-travel testing program.
- Kauai: Mayor Kawakami Proposes Four-Tiered Pre-Travel Testing Program: Mayor Kawakami submitted a proposal to Governor Ige that features a four-tiered system outlining when businesses and activities can be operational based on coronavirus case counts, including a point at which Kauai would opt out of the state's pre-travel test program that begins on October 15.
COVID-19 FEDERAL GOVERNMENT NEWS
- SBA & Treasury Simplify Forgiveness for PPP Loans of $50,000 or Less: On October 8, 2020, the SBA & Treasury announced a simplified PPP loan forgiveness process for loans of $50,000 or less, and released instructions as well as an application for eligible borrowers.
- OSHA Announces Nearly $1 Million in Coronavirus Violations: Since the pandemic started, OSHA has proposed penalties of $913, 133 based on citations to 62 establishments for violations such as a failure to:
- Implement a written respiratory program;
- Report an injury, illness, or fatality; and
- Comply with the General Duty Clause